Tarion-Approved: Legal Issues in Housing with Leor Margulies
Understand common legal situations faced by new home builders and learn the warning signs of when to seek a legal expert. This Tarion-approved course covers fundamental legal issues in housing and has been developed for new home builders. Topics include: Contract Law, Tort Law, the Construction Act, the Ontario New Homes Warranty Plan Act, and Statutory Laws. This course will help build your basic understanding of legal terms and concepts that you will regularly encounter as a new home builder. Learn what you need to know in-class with a legal professional.
Note: This introductory course is intended for new home builders. This course will not make you a legal expert.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe legal requirements of contracts
- Describe types of contracts
- Distinguish between an Agreement of Purchase and Sale, and a Contract Home
- Give examples of warranties
- Explain the land registry system and related topics
- Describe builder liability
- Explain the Construction Lien Act
- Describe insurance law
- Describe privacy law
- Explain dispute resolution mechanisms
- Describe employment law
This course is a one day class.
The course fee includes the exam, participant materials, breakfast, and lunch. Please notify us of any food allergies and/or dietary restrictions you may have.
Group rates are available for 6 or more. Please email to set up a group rate.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
About the Speaker
Leor Margulies, B.C.L., LL.B.
Partner, Robins Appleby
Leor Margulies is the real estate group leader at Robins Appleby LLP and has been a respected member of the Toronto real estate community for over 30 years. His valuable legal counsel is sought out by financial institutions, real estate developers, property owners, and builders. Some of his longstanding clients include the BMO, RBC, Laurentian Bank of Canada, the Sorbara Group, Great Gulf Homes, Kylemore Communities and Toronto Port Lands Corporation.
Leor specializes in residential high/low-rise development and construction financing, with an emphasis on condominiums. His real estate group handles all types of commercial and industrial developments, leasing and financing, including innovative public and private joint ventures and co-tenancies.
Since 1999, Leor has served as a director/secretary on the executive committee of BILD, representing BILD on numerous industry issues.
Please note: This is a technical workshop intended for persons wishing to become a Tarion registered homebuilder. buildABILITY reserves the right to limit registration to individuals with the necessary demonstrated prerequisite knowledge and expertise.
If you need to cancel yourself from a course and it is:
- More than 7 days prior to the first day of the course, you will receive a full refund or transfer credit less a $75 + HST administration fee.
- Less than 7 days prior to the first day of the course, you will receive a refund or transfer credit of 80% of your registration fee.
- Less than 3 days prior to the first day of the course, you will be eligible for a transfer credit of 80% of your registration fee. No refunds will be issued.
Cancellations must be received by phone or email.
Rescheduling, relocating, or cancelling events is at the discretion of buildABILITY Corporation. Should this happen: we will provide a notice 5 days prior to the seminar, you will not be charged.
$799 + HST
The Thornhill Club
7994 Yonge St, Thornhill, ON L4J 1W3
Friday, Sep 13, 2019
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM