Tarion-Approved: Financial Planning & Management
Successfully operating a home building business is not a simple task. It can be easy to get lost in the everyday activities and put financial planning on the back burner, but it’s important to know that this aspect of your business is essential and vital to maintain the health of your business. Financial planning and management will help you make more money. It enables you to cut costs. It helps you set and achieve short-term and long-term goals. That’s just some of the things that financial planning and management will do for you.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Explain the difference between bookkeeping and accounting
- Describe basic accounting terminology
- Understand record keeping responsibilities
- Explain overhead costs
- Understand the users of financial information
- Explain basic elements of an income statement and balance sheet
- Describe financial planning
- Describe a business plan
- Explain the relationship between the business plan and financial planning
- Describe financial projections
- Explain the purpose of proforma financial statements
- Describe financial statements
- Explain the purpose of a cash flow statement
- Explain and calculate breakeven analysis
- Describe common pricing strategies
- Describe factors to consider for pricing
- Explain the difference between margins and markups
- Apply margins and markups
- Explain benchmarking
- Identify types of construction financing
- Describe credit arrangements
- Describe collateral security requirements
- Describe a PO system
- Explain the controls for extras and changes
- Explain the purpose of internal controls
- Describe internal control procedures
This course takes place over three half-days.
The course uses the textbook Accounting and Financial Management for Residential Construction, 5th edition by Emma Shinn and published by the National Association of Home Builders which must be purchased separately. An eBook is available from Amazon (Kindle) and a print copy is available at Chapters/Indigo.
The course fee includes the exam and breakfast. Please notify us of any food allergies and/or dietary restrictions that you may have.
Group rates are available for 6 or more. Please email to set up a group rate.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Speaker
Eddy Aceti, CPA CGA BA LPA
Aceti Falcone LLP
Eddy has over 20 years of accounting experience the majority of which was served in public accounting. Eddy’s industry expertise includes construction, medical and other professional services, manufacturing, finance and mineral exploration. In addition to being a licensed public accountant in Ontario, Eddy is a Certified Acceptance Agent listed with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Eddy is the lead audit partner of Aceti Falcone LLP. Outside of the firm Eddy has volunteered his time as a member of the finance committee for the ALS Society of Ontario.
This is part of the new Tarion Education Criteria as of September 1, 2015 for new applicants proposing to build residential freehold and low-rise condominium under Part 9 of the Ontario Building Code. For more information on what competencies you need to meet, please visit “Tarion’s Getting Registered Page“.
Please note: This is a technical workshop intended for persons wishing to become a Tarion registered homebuilder. buildABILITY reserves the right to limit registration to individuals with the necessary demonstrated prerequisite knowledge and expertise.
If you need to cancel yourself from a course and it is:
- More than 7 days prior to the first day of the course, you will receive a full refund less a $75 + HST administration fee
- Less than 7 days prior to the first day of the course, you will receive a refund of 50% of your registration fee
- The day of class and you did not show up, you will be charged a full fee and will not be eligible for a refund
Cancellations must be received by phone or email.
Rescheduling, relocating, or cancelling events is at the discretion of buildABILITY Corporation. Should this happen: we will provide a notice 5 days prior to the seminar, you will not be charged.
$749 + HST
The Thornhill Club
7994 Yonge St, Thornhill, ON L4J 1W3
Monday, Sep 9, 2019
9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Sep 16 2019 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Sep 23 2019 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM