Tarion-Approved: Financial Planning & Management
Successfully operating a home building business is not a simple task. It can be easy to get lost in the everyday activities and put financial planning on the back burner, but it’s important to know that this aspect of your business is essential and vital to maintain the health of your business. Financial planning and management will help you make more money. It enables you to cut costs. It helps you set and achieve short-term and long-term goals. That’s just some of the things that financial planning and management will do for you.
Use our online learning platform and study the materials at your own pace before each class. Then, you will have your learning reinforced by attending three half-day in-class sessions with our expert facilitator. The in-class sessions will be held once a week to give you time to go through the materials on your own. The facilitator will be there to make sure you understand the core concepts and to answer any questions you may have.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Explain the difference between bookkeeping and accounting
- Describe basic accounting terminology
- Understand record keeping responsibilities
- Explain overhead costs
- Understand the users of financial information
- Explain basic elements of an income statement and balance sheet
- Describe financial planning
- Describe a business plan
- Explain the relationship between the business plan and financial planning
- Describe financial projections
- Explain the purpose of proforma financial statements
- Describe financial statements
- Explain the purpose of a cash flow statement
- Explain and calculate breakeven analysis
- Describe common pricing strategies
- Describe factors to consider for pricing
- Explain the difference between margins and markups
- Apply margins and markups
- Explain benchmarking
- Identify types of construction financing
- Describe credit arrangements
- Describe collateral security requirements
- Describe a PO system
- Explain the controls for extras and changes
- Explain the purpose of internal controls
- Describe internal control procedures
When and Where
Date(s): November 7th, 14th, and 21st, 2018
Length: 1 full day and 1 half day (exam + online homework included)
Where: buildABILITY Corporation, 170 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 202, North York, ON M2N 3A4
Price: $649 + HST
Textbook: Accounting and Financial Management for Residential Construction, 5th edition by the National Association of Home Builders
(must be purchased separately, an eBook is available for $11.99 USD and a print copy is available for $29.95 USD)
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Speaker
Eddy Aceti, CPA CGA BA LPA
Aceti Falcone LLP
Eddy has over 20 years of accounting experience the majority of which was served in public accounting. Eddy’s industry expertise includes construction, medical and other professional services, manufacturing, finance and mineral exploration. In addition to being a licensed public accountant in Ontario, Eddy is a Certified Acceptance Agent listed with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Eddy is the lead audit partner of Aceti Falcone LLP. Outside of the firm Eddy has volunteered his time as a member of the finance committee for the ALS Society of Ontario.
Please note: This is a technical workshop intended for persons wishing to become a Tarion registered homebuilder. buildABILITY reserves the right to limit registration to individuals with the necessary demonstrated prerequisite knowledge and expertise.
Fees for this course are non-refundable.
Rescheduling, relocating, or cancelling events is at the discretion of buildABILITY Corporation. Should this happen: we will provide a notice 5 days prior to the seminar, you will not be charged.
$649 + HST
170 Sheppard Ave E, Suite 202
Wednesday, Nov 7, 2018
9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Nov 14 2018 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Nov 21 2018 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM