[Pre-registration] Tarion-approved: Construction Technology and Building Science
Course Date: To Be Announced
Length: 3 days + exam, in-class. Classes are once per week.
Where: To Be Announced, Toronto
Course price: $960 + HST
Group rates are available for 6 or more. Please email email@example.com to set up a group rate.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participants will be introduced to building science theory and practice. Learn about the control of heat loss, air leakage, and moisture movement in buildings. Learn how to avoid common defects in construction.
The course, delivered by Michael Lio, has been adapted for industry from the course he delivered in the architecture program at the University of Toronto.
By the end of the workshop you will be able to:
- Understand Building science that affects building durability and occupant comfort
- Understand Mechanical systems and integrated mechanical systems
- Discuss approaches to improving Indoor air quality
- Explain the “House-as-a-system” concept
Understand Controlling Heat Loss:
- Understand heat loss mechanisms through above and below grade assemblies
- Identify the difference between nominal and effective thermal resistance
- Understand thermal resistance associated with air films, air spaces and common building materials
- Calculate conductive heat loss through building assemblies
- Calculate effective thermal resistance
- Calculating heat loss through windows and predict condensation potential in a building assembly
Understand Air Leakage and Indoor Air Quality:
- Identify why controlling air leakage is important in buildings
- How air moves through an enclosure and the problems it can cause
- Understand air sealing approaches
- Identify materials that can be used as a part of an air barrier system
Understand Moisture Control:
- Identify and understand first and second planes of control
- Understand drainage planes
- Understand and provide details for interior and exterior vapour control
- Understand and provide details for capillary and ground water control, snow and ice control
- Use psychrometrics to understand air and water vapour mixtures
ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
Michael Lio, P.Eng, M.Eng
Michael is a professional engineer who has consulted on projects and publications across North America relating to housing, energy efficiency and sustainability. His studies have supported the development of the Energy Star for New Homes program in Ontario, the EnerGuide Rating System, and the new R-2000 Program. At various times benchmarked the energy efficiency performance and greenhouse gas emissions of new and existing housing in Ontario. He taught sustainable housing in the Architecture Program at Ryerson University for 12 years while for the last 15 years he has taught building science and building technology and ecology at the Daniels Faculty of Architecture at the University of Toronto.
This is part of the new Tarion Education Criteria as of September 1, 2015 for new applicants proposing to build residential freehold and low-rise condominium under Part 9 of the Ontario Building Code. For more information on what competencies you need to meet, please visit “Tarion’s Getting Registered Page“.
Please note: This is a technical workshop intended for persons wishing to become a Tarion registered homebuilder. buildABILITY reserves the right to limit registration to individuals with the necessary demonstrated prerequisite knowledge and expertise.
If you have not cancelled yourself from the seminar within 48 hours or less prior to its commencement and you didn’t show up, you will be charged a full fee.
If you need to cancel yourself from a seminar and it is 48 hours or less you will be able to send someone else from your organization.
A full refund of the paid amount (less $50 + HST Administration Fee) will be issued for cancellations made up to 48 hours prior to the seminar. (Cancellations must be received by phone or email)
Rescheduling, relocating, or cancelling events is at the discretion of buildABILITY Corporation. Should this happen: we will provide a notice 5 days prior to the seminar, you will not be charged.
Pre-registration is free!
To be announced
The course used a lot of good examples that were seen in the past and did not just use theoretical examples which was helpful and makes me as a student feel like this information is very useful.